We are working on...
1 What do we believe is true so far?
In 1829 the Governor of NSW, Sir Ralph Darling, granted
James Collits 640 acres of land fronting the Belubula
River. It was "in remuneration for services in pointing
out a line of road from Mt. York to Bathurst". There is
evidence that he (or the succeeding owner, Thomas Iceley)
named the property "Canoundra". Collits owned other great
tracts of land in the area, along with a store and the
first hotel. A settlement was gradually established around
this nucleus, and as early as 1844 the settlement (now
referred to as Canowindra) was the site of a
The land grant was in Wiradjuri country, and it is likely
that the property was given a Wiradjuri name. Certainly
the conventional view is that Canowindra comes from a
Wiradjuri word meaning "home" or "camping place".
If that origin is correct, the nearest Wiradjuri words
currently recorded are
2 What more do we need?
Almost all the information above comes from secondary
sources, such as well-known placename books, family
history websites and media company tourist pages.
Primary source documents to support the following parts
of the story are required:
Copyright © 2017, Placenames Australia (Inc)